- To use Minecraft to show innovative solutions to a multifunctional urban structure.
- To develop skills in collaboration.
- To gain an understanding of the professions that work together to create a complete construction.
- To give an understanding of the factors taken into account, and the criteria that must be met, when creating a new urban space
In this chapter, the groups visit a construction site where they will produce a building from scratch. The work in Minecraft is meant to reflect, as far as possible, the processes that a real construction project would undergo. In order to illustrate this working procedure, the students can find inspiration at the site goconstruct.org, where they can see the various roles and phases that are involved in the creation of a building.
The teacher simplifies these phases to match a Minecraft context, and introduces the five stages that the group must use as the framework for their production.
Design and planning (off game)
When these have been described, the class is introduced to three constraints that they must take account of when they begin:
- The building must take into account people on street level and provide attractive facilities such as shops, entertainment facilities and play areas.
- The building must provide the framework for an attractive working environment which allows for a flexible workspace.
- The building must make use of its height, and must have at least five storeys.